Ethan Cox’s Rabble report on the second General Assembly
After two days (July 2-3) of meetings that ranged from tense and acrimonious to joyful and celebratory, participants at the planning meeting for Canada’s first ever People’s Social Forum arrived at a consensus – Ottawa, late August 2014
Planning for the second General Assembly – May 24, 2013
We are delighted to confirm that the second General Assembly of the Peoples Social Forum will be held next July 2nd and 3rd at the Telus Centre, 111 Street & 87 Ave NW, University of Alberta, Edmonton
The venue will be the Telus Centre at the University of Alberta in Edmonton. The purpose of this upcoming GA is to decide on the location, date and themes of the Peoples Social Forum scheduled for the summer of 2014.
We have chosen Edmonton as important events are planned this year in Fort McMurray, just north of the Albertan capital. On July 5th and 6th many hundreds of people will come together from coast to coast to join First Nations and Metis in the Healing Walk, a gathering focused on healing the environment and people suffering from tar sands expansion.
We are holding our General Assembly in Edmonton as a gesture of solidarity and support to all those fighting tar sands expansion. Many of the participants in our General Assembly will make their way to Fort McMurray and join our First Nations and Metis brothers and sisters in this year’s Healing Walk.
In the nest few days and weeks preparatory documents for the upcoming General Assembly will be communicated to all participants. We recommend that they be discussed in the caucuses and regional expansion commissions.
To RSVP please contact Roger Rashi Roger Rashi firstname.lastname@example.org
Site: Telus Centre, 111 Street & 87 Ave NW, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB T6G 2R1
Room 150 is the main hall for plenaries
Rooms 217/219 and 236/238 for workshops and caucuses
Accommodation: on site accommodation possibilities will be advised in the next few days.
Tuesday July 2nd
- 5:00 to 6:00pm:. Reception with coffee, snacks and sandwiches: Atrium
- 6:00 to 6:30 pm: Welcome by First Nations: Main Hall
- Address to the General Assembly: Main Hall
- 6:30 to 7:00 pm: Plenary: presentations on Main Themes and Objectives of Peoples Social Forum (PSF)
- 7:00 to 8:00 pm: Workshops and caucuses on Main Themes and Objectives of PSF
- 8:00 to 9:00 pm: Plenary: Decisions on Main Themes and Objectives of PSF
Wednesday July 3rd
- 9:00 to 10:00am Plenary: Presentations on Date, Place and and Mobilization for PSF
- 10:00 to 11:00am Workshops and caucuses on Date, Place and and Mobilization for PSF
- 11:00 to 12:00pm Plenary: Decisions on Date, Place and and Mobilization for PSF
- 1:30 to 2:00pm Plenary: Presentations on Structures of PSF(Steering cttee, working committees, etc..)
- 2:00 to 3:00pm Workshops and caucuses on Structures of PSF
- 3:00 to 4:00 pm Plenary: Decisions on Structures of PSF